Kent Connect to Support
Text size:


What is a Self Funder?

If you are paying the full cost of your care directly to the person providing your care (for example, home care agency or residential home) you are known as a 'self-funder'.

If you are self funding, it is usually because:

  • you do not want a social care assessment
  • you have chosen not to approach social care services for help
  • you do not want to be financially assessed
  • you have had a social care assessment but are not currently eligible for care and support services
  • you have had an assessment which shows you are eligible for support, however your savings and assets are above the threshold set by the Government

Savings and capital threshold

If you have over £23,250 in capital or you choose not to disclose your financial information you will not qualify for any financial assistance and you will need to pay the full cost of your residential or nursing care directly to your chosen provider.

If you have less than £23,250 in capital, then Kent County Council Adult Social Care will assess your needs and financial situation. To find out more about paying for care when assessed by Kent County Council please take a look on their website.

Funding yourself in a care home

This useful booklet produced by Kent County Council has a lot of information about funding:

Your guide to funding yourself in a care home

NHS continuing healthcare

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare.

Useful Contacts & Information

Last updated: 01/03/2023