Kent Connect to Support
Text size:

Mental health

Mental health problems can affect any of us at any time in our lives. For most people who experience mental health issues, your first place to get help should be your doctor, who can often refer you to other professionals.

Working out what to say to your doctor about your mental health can be hard. Doc Ready is a free service which could help you prepare for your first visit.


If you have taken an overdose or harmed yourself, phone 999 immediately or go directly to your nearest NHS Accident & Emergency (A&E) department,


Call the Samaritans for free on 116 123 for 24 hour support. They also offer support by email, letter and face-to-face.

Support from the NHS

Via your GP

Your GP should be your first point of call for any non-emergency medical concerns including mental health.

After speaking to you about your concerns, your GP will be able to signpost you to appropriate services.


The NHS offer a range of services and treatments for mental health, some of which do not require a GP referral.

Learn more about self-referred NHS mental health support.

Kent and Medway NHS Partnership Trust (KMPT)

For residents of Kent and Medway who are not currently
a patient with KMPT (sometimes referred to as Kent and
Medway secondary care mental health services), call the
free 24-hour helpline on 0800 783 9111 if you need
urgent mental health support, advice and guidance.

KMPT also provide secondary mental health services and support including:

  • community mental health
  • crisis resolution
  • telephone support.

Or call 0800 107 0160 to speak with someone from the
Release the Pressure team if you’re feeling stressed.
You can also text "Kent" to 85258 for 24-hour mental
health crisis support via text from trained volunteers.

Visit the KMPT website for mental health support and contact details.

Kent and Medway Safe Havens

The Kent and Medway Safe Havens service can help you, if you are feeling distressed, frightened, overwhelmed or you are unsure where to turn to get mental health support.

Visit the Kent Medway Safe Havens website for support and contact details.

The service is available out of hours for those aged anyone over 16 in Kent.

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM)

Tel: 0800 58 58 58  A leading movement against suicide |
Helpline and webchat – 7 hours a day, 7 days a week

Release the pressure - Kent County Council

Life can get really tough sometimes, but talking can help. We have a highly trained and experienced team available 24/7 to provide expert support no matter what you are going through.

Don’t suffer in silence: text the word Kent to 85258 or call 0800 107 0160 for free confidential support at any time.

For help and support of you are feeling anxious, stressed, low or need help please see the Kent and Medway wellbeing hub

Caring for other people

If you are a carer and looking for support find out what support is available

If you give unpaid care to someone who is over the age of 18 find out what support is available.

Organisations who provide local support, advice and training for carers in Kent.

Short breaks for people who care for another person in Kent.

Keeping the people you are caring for safe in case something happens to you.

Find out if you are eligible for money to help you look after someone who needs to be cared for.

Kent Young Carers provide carers aged 5-18 with information, advice, support and social activities.

Volunteering opportunities with us and our partners.

Mind's guide for carers supporting those with mental health conditions

We're supplying free PPE to unpaid carers who live in Kent. Find out what we can provide and how to order PPE.

There are little things we can all do to help look after our mental health. Having good mental health helps us relax more, achieve more and enjoy our lives more.

Every Mind Matters have expert advice and practical tips to help you look after your mental health and wellbeing, so discover what works for you.


Other places you can get support

There is other support available throughout Kent, depending on they type of help you are looking for.

Support for all

Home, finances and work

Specialist support

  • Kent sheds - is an open, friendly place where men can meet, chat and undertake activities such as DIY projects or gardening.
  • Where to get LGBTQ support.
  • NHS mental health support for veterans.
  • Advocacy - someone to speak up on your behalf if you have mental health needs in Kent.
  • Kent County Council Adult Social Care provides the Kent Enablement and Recovery service for mental health - works with people experiencing mental health difficulties to address social care needs over a short period of time. You can be referred to Adult Social Care by your GP or find out how to get help on the self-referral pages on


Last updated: 16/05/2022