Kent Connect to Support
Text size:

Types of benefits

Benefits are a means of financial help you can claim from the government. They give people support in order to live their lives, or to help them while they find work.

There are a range of benefits that people can apply for to help in different circumstances. Some benefits are administered by other local authorities and some are administered by central government.

The GOV.UK website has details of all the benefits, including those listed below:

Universal Credit is a new benefit to support you if you are working and are on a low income or you are out of work. It is a single monthly payment and replaces some of the benefits and tax credits you might be getting, including -

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance.

By combining your benefits into one simple payment, it makes it easier for you to manage your money and helps ensure you receive the right amount of financial aid. It also makes it easier to adjust your payments when your circumstances change.

Universal Credit - GOV.UK (

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

Housing Benefit - GOV.UK (


If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if you’re eligible and either:

  • get the State Pension
  • get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)
Last updated: 06/03/2023