As well as thinking about what you want to take with you for your stay in hospital, you should also think about arrangements you may need to make while you are in hospital. Here are some things you may need to think about:
- make sure your home is safe – turn off electrical appliances, turn off water at the mains and turn your central heating down or off
- secure your property – check that windows and doors are locked
- valuables and keys should be placed with people you trust like family, carers or close neighbours
- arrange for someone you trust to look after your property such as collecting your mail , watering your plants and feeding your pets
- cancel any deliveries such as milk or newspapers
- if you have a pet, arrange for them to be looked after by someone close to you or arrange for them to be placed in kennels or catteries
If you have a relative, friend or carer, you may find it helpful to talk to them about what you need to do before, during or after your hospital stay.
To make your stay as comfortable as possible, you should think about what you need while you are in hospital.